Originally trained as a computer scientist, I made the transition to sociology. My goal was to combine my computer programming skills with sociological thinking and statistical analysis to study how relatively simple interactions between individuals and groups lead to the emergence and diffusion of social patterns.
The guiding principle in my research is to understand social facts (e.g. social networks, crime, social movements, segregation, cooperation) not merely by relating them to other social facts, but rather by detailing the pathways through which they are brought about. My research activities integrate three important aspects in this regard: (1) social structure limits individuals’ view of the world; (2) embeddedment in social context affects individuals’ behavior and relational choices; and (3) combined relational patterns lead to broader macro-level outcomes. By addressing these issues in different empirical settings, my work reaches across disciplinary boundaries and demonstrates the originality of the approach I propose.
My work combines social network analysis, complex systems modeling, and advanced quantitative analyses of empirical data. Several of my research articles have been published in prestigious journals (Social Networks, Social Science Research, Sociological Focus, Scientific Reports, European Journal of Criminology, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics) and have been featured in major media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, Die Zeit, The Guardian, The National, Irish Examiner, ScienceDaily, ScienceNews.
Books and Special Issues
Book Chapters, Reviews and Other Publications
- Grund, T. and Hedström, P. (forthcoming) Social Network Analysis Using Stata. College Station: Stata Press.
- Helbing, D. and Grund, T. (2013) (eds.) Special Issue: Agent-Based Modeling and Techno-Social Systems. Advances in Complex Systems, Vol. 16, Issue 4 & 5.
- Kron, T. and Grund, T. (2010) (eds.) Analytische Soziologie in der Diskussion. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag.
- Hyden, M., Gadd, D. and Grund, T. (forthcoming) The Role of Narrative and Social Networks in Thwarting Violence and Sexual Abuse in Young People's Live. British Journal of Social Work.
- Tatum, T. and Grund, T. (2019) Accusation and Confession Discrepancies in Bullying: Dual-Perspective Networks and Individual-Level Attributes. Social Networks. online first
- Grund, T. and Tatum, T. (2019) Some Friends Matter More than Others: BMI Clustering Among Adolescents in Four European Countries. Network Science, 7(12), 123-139.
- Mueller, T., Grund, T. and Koskinen, J. (2018) Residential Segregation and 'Ethnic Flight' vs. 'Ethnic Avoidance' in Sweden . European Sociological Review, 34(3), 268-285.
- Grund, T. and Morselli, C. (2017) Overlapping Crime: Stability and Specialization of Co-offending Relationships. Social Networks, 51, 14-22.
- Grund, T. (2016) The Relational Value of Experience in Teams. Evidence from the English Premier League. American Behavioral Scientist, 60(10), 1260-1280.
- Grund, T. and Densley, J. (2015) Ethnic Homophily and Triad Closure: Mapping Internal Gang Structure Using Exponential Random Graph Models. Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 31(3), 354-370.
- Block, P. and Grund, T. (2014) Multidimensional Similarities in Friendship Networks. Network Science, 2(2), 189-212.
- Grund, T. (2014) Why Your Friends Are More Important And Special Than You Think. Sociological Science, 1, 128-140.
- Grund, T., Waloszek, C, Helbing, D. (2013) How Natural Selection Can Create Both Self- and Other-Regarding Preferences, and Networked Minds. Scientific Reports, 2013, 3, Article number 1480.
- Gallo, E., Grund, T. and Reade, J. J. (2013) Punishing the Foreigner. Implicit Discrimination in the Premier League Based on Oppositional Identity. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 65(1), 136-156.
- Grund, T. (2012) Network Structure and Team Performance: The Case of English Premier League Soccer Teams. Social Networks, 34(4), 682-690.
- Grund, T. and Densley, J. (2012) Ethnic Heterogeneity in the Activity and Structure of a Black Street Gang. European Journal of Criminology, 9,(3), 388-406.
- Richardson, L. and Grund, T. (2012) Modeling the Impact of Supra-Structural Network Nodes: The Case of Anonymous Syringe Sharing and HIV among People who Inject Drugs. Social Science Research, 41(3), 624-636.
- Yogev, T. and Grund, T. (2012) Structural Dynamics and the Market for Contemporary Art: The Case of International Art Fairs. Sociological Focus, 54(1), 23-40.
- Kron, T. and Grund, T. (2009) Society as a Self-Organized Critical System. Cybernetics and Human Knowing , 2009, 16(1-2), 65-83.
- Papastefanou, G. and Grund, T. (2004) EVSLabels 1.0. Ein Tool zur automatischen Erstellung von SPSS-Setups für Scientific Use Files der EVS 2003. ZUMA-Nachrichten 2004, 55, November 2004, pp. 97-98.
Book Chapters, Reviews and Other Publications
- Morselli, C., Boivin, R. and Grund, T. (2015) Network Opportunities and Crime-Specific Patterns in a Co-offending Population, in Malm, A. and Bichler, G. (eds.) (2015) Preventing Crime and Network Analysis, Crime Prevention Studies, Vol. 28. London: FirstForumPress, pp. 47-65.
- Grund, T (2014) Book Review: Agent-Based Computational Sociology. Acta Sociologica, Vol. 57, Issue 4, pp. 371-372.
- Grund, T. (2014) Network Size and Homophily: Same-Sex Friendships in 595 Scandinavian Schools, in Manzo, G. (eds.) (2014) Analytical Sociology. Norms, Actions, Networks. New York: Wiley, pp. 299-316.
- Grund, T. (2013) Book Review: Dynamical Processes on Complex Networks (4th ed). Journal of Mathematical Sociology, Vol. 37, Issue 2, pp. 131-132.
- Kron, T. and Grund, T. (2010) Einleitung, in: Kron, T. and Grund, T. (eds.) (2010) Analytische Soziologie in der Diskussion. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag, pp. 7-27.
- Jäckel, M. and Grund, T. (2005) Eine Mediensoziologie – Aus Sicht der Klassiker, in: Jäckel, M. (2005) (ed.) Mediensoziologie. Grundfragen und Forschungsfelder. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag, pp. 15-32.
- Papastefanou, G. and Grund, T. (2005) Socio-economic Status Disparities in Fresh Vegetables Consumption: Change and Stability between 1983 and 1998 in West-Germany, in: Oltersdorf, U. et. al. (2005) (eds.). Consumer and Nutrition: Challenges and Chances for Research and Society. Karlsruhe: BFEL, pp. 186-190.
- Grund, T. (2004) EVSLabels 1.0.Ein Tool zur automatischen Erstellung von SPSS-Setups für Scientific Use Files der EVS 2003. ZUMA-Methodenbericht 2004/05. Mannheim: ZUMA.